Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Geetars, Magazines and Mailbox Money

Funny thing about songwriters: once you get your first song published you learn the art of mailbox watching. Right around the time each quarter that the royalty checks are cut from the different publishing and record companies, we are all keeping a rigid eye on our mailboxes. We writers gather to street's edge like goldfish in a pond at the sight of the feeding bucket. We don't waste time chatting with the postman as he is just a mere delivery object. We nervously rip open the envelope, throwing the cover letter in the air on our way to the money (why do they put cover letters in royalty statements?...the only ones who read them are the assistants who type them!). Many times I am surprised when the amount is greater than expected. Most of the time it is lower and lower until I can get another cut to again fill the coffers.

I also watch the mailbox for my two monthly magazines: Vintage Guitar and Premier Guitar. These mags are outstanding. They offer really cool features with artists that I enjoy. Not the "flavor of the month" guys who are here today and delivering my pizza tomorrow. I love the vintage stuff but am happy to get shiny, new stuff even more. The funny thing is, the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, etc., probably used fairly new stuff when they recorded their hits. Even so, we geetar pickers are so into our "vintage" stuff. I still believe that the tone is in the fingers and the heart.

So, If you see me waiting nervously at my mailbox for more than a few minutes, know that I am waiting for my mailbox money or a magazine. Just pray that I don't rip the hand off that poor postman!

No comments:

Post a Comment