Friday, April 9, 2010

Points

Isn't it true that youth is wasted on the young? I know it sounds harsh but I believe it. I look back to the days when I was on the road with rock bands in my early twenties. I would consume a Big Mac, a cheeseburger, fries and a gigantic, sugar-filled Coke for lunch and the same for dinner almost every day (no one except moms drank diet sodas back in those days). Then, before we'd bunk up in the van for a long "over-niter", we would pile into the 7 Eleven for snacks to eat as we fell asleep sitting up. It never crossed our minds to brush our teeth until "maybe" in the morning when we all stumbled out of the rolling sardine can to shower in a cheap motel.

Holy-moly, the abuse that I hurled at my own body! The lack of sleep; poor attention to all things dental; severe sunburn; trashing my back lifting heavy amps and road cases; playing loud guitar next to a deafening drummer every day in concert. These things all added up to a huge dilemma that started to creep into my life right around my forties.

Now about points. Life is kind of like Weight Watchers. We have been given a certain budget of points in life to spend on our health, relationships, careers, etc. When we spend them all in one era of our lives, at some point in later life we become suddenly aware, for survival sake, to stop the destruction before death knocks us out of the ring. Simply said, if we live in moderation throughout our lives we can afford to enjoy much more all the way to the end of our lives. My mom's mother lived to be almost 100 years old. Brenda reminded me last night at dinner that Grandma Ree lived a very moderate life-style all the way through.

The following glaringly obvious statement sounds like a manta of my mother as I grew up: if I would just take care of myself incrementally as I go along in life (keep weight off, exercise, take good care of my teeth, etc.) I would be able to enjoy life in a much greater way . Make no mistake about me, I am a life-lover and I still take chances (I can hear Pee Wee Herman in the Big Adventure right about now saying, "You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel"). But my advice to the young is, don't spend all of your points in one place. Take your time; enjoy the view. There is a wonderful adventure to be lived out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jamie...been reading but not commenting...just wanted you to know I am enjoying your posts. Who knew? You can play and sing and you can write too! Good stuff! Thanks for sharing your thoughts~ Cathy

    ReplyDelete