Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Saga Continues...

I want to post an update to my health adventure because so many people have written with concern and encouragement, saying they are praying for me. It has been 5 weeks since I started losing weight, exercising 30 minutes a day and lowering that astronomically high blood pressure. It is much tougher to undo what 50 years of misbehaving hath wrought.

Doesn't it seem like when you hit 40 so many pesky health issues appear on your doorstep? My eyes have always required a strong correction for astigmatism and single-vision lenses were all I needed until now: I get to wear trifocals. Yippee! Even with contact lenses, I tote granny glasses for reading (they disappear into the same vortex where lost socks, guitar picks and Jimmy Hoffa hang out...I swear, they fall into the Bermuda Triangle!). Another thing, for guys of course, is when the prostate flares up. You don't even know you have one until you wake up on the morning of your 40th birthday to use the bathroom about 20 times. Teeth are another issue. Do what mom says: brush and floss regularly. She wasn't bringing an empty threat because teeth will fall out. Duh! The problem now is that the tooth fairy isn't leaving money under your pillow anymore. You pay the dentist thousands of dollars to create a fake pair of teeth that will probably never quite look or fit right.

I can go on and on. My biggest advice is pay attention to your earth suit while you still have one! Our bodies don't last forever and the abuse of them will certainly bring about painful consequences at the least. So, now that I have been scared into reality with regard to my health, my blood pressure has been brought down to the normal range (cudos to Bystolic!). So far I have shed almost 20 pounds and am well on my way to losing 30 more for Josh and Amber's wedding (also my 50th birthday) on July 10th.

God blesses our effort in getting physically and spiritually healthy. I will keep you posted as the saga continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment