Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dissatisfied

Dissatisfaction is a tough egg to scramble. On one hand it can lead you out of the doldrums and into a promising path. On the other hand it can lead you into dubious and destructive adventures. Advertisers use dissatisfaction to coax us into buying their products. In the case of my recent run-in with my health, it lead me to make an important life choice.

I had a bad neck ache that wouldn't leave me alone several weeks ago. I tried to Advil it to death but it kept getting worse. I finally went to the clinic. My neck ache problem soon jumped into the back seat when the nurse took my blood pressure. The contorted expression on her face wasn't a bit veiled as my numbers were in the skull and cross bones range. At 49 I have become a member of the high blood pressure fraternity. When did this little health burglar break into my body and start ripping off one of the most valuable assets of life? The alarm went off and I was roused from my slumber.

I have been sleeping in regard to many things in my life for several years. Mama birds pull the fur lining of the comfortable nest away so the prickly sticks are exposed. This way the discomfort forces the baby eagles to move away from their comfy home. I am feeling the same kind of nudge and I think it is God telling me to wake up and fly. My health, my career, my relationship with God, family and friends all deserve my full, robust attention. I pray that my wake up call and all the dissatisfaction will lead me away from the deadly ways of yesterday. 50 is breathing down my neck telling me to fly. Look out, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment