Thursday, May 20, 2010

Best Foot Foward

I watched a few episodes of the Dick Van Dyke show with Brenda this morning. I was struck with the quality of the production from the beginning to the final credits of each installment. That brings me to ponder about the concept of excellence. I could go on and on with this subject today but I will make a simple observation.

There are three camps in the human race: one who brings their best in skill and effort to each activity and/or project; one who doesn't see the trouble expended is worth the effort; and the last one is a group of people who are selective about the quality and excellence of certain things and are neutral or don't fuss about the others. Most of us fall into the final category.

When it comes to music, live productions, writing, visuals, etc., I am a stickler for excellence. My dad always said that God enjoys worship even if it is out of tune. I really think He cringes like we parents do during our child's talent show or recital-- yes, they are our kids but, man that was painful! We are born with differing talents and aptitudes. Life is not "fair" in that regard. Some of us see uneven roof lines on a house, some folks are oblivious. Some can't stand to see a tilted picture frame and won't rest until it is righted. Some are fussy about their clothes. Most of us are fussy about some things and not so much with others.

I choose to put as much excellence as I can into the worship leading, music, writing, playing, singing and producing I do. Some critics may disagree with some of the content, but I am going to do my best to make sure that the presentation is at it's best. After all, I respect you, the beholder; I respect God, my Creator; and I respect myself because I have to live with the outcome. Your time is important to me. And if I capture your valuable time for even a wink, I want to bring you my best.

So, why do we lay out paper plates and plastic tableware when we can offer our best china, so to speak? Excellence comes first by recognizing a high standard. We plan and rehearse to attain that standard and we make corrections along the way in the process to bring our presentation to the public. The spectators in our world make judgments on our God, our belief systems, our families, our work-- based on presentation. I am not out to impress everyone. But if I am going to say, "Hey, look at this...," I am gonna be sure to not waste your time.

Like Brenda's grandma always said, "Soap is cheap and water is free." Use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment