Sunday, May 2, 2010

When the Waters Rise

The rain hasn't stopped once since yesterday. All of the local news stations are broadcasting the weather full-time. I cut the grass early this week because I thought I would lose the chance to cut it on Saturday. Well, the rain has done more than disrupt an already plan-packed weekend here in middle Tennessee- it has changed lives. At last count, six people have perished due to flooding.

I am absolutely astonished to see people out driving around for no reason other than to see the flooded parking lots and store fronts. Many of those who went to look became a casualty of the rising waters themselves. On a news report last night I saw the video of a modular church building floating like a raft on I-24 . It finally crumbled and disappeared into the brown, littered sludge just a quarter of a mile from where it was forced off it's foundation.

Some people create more danger to themselves when they drive...slowing down to a crawl on the interstate. I am aggravated when timid drivers suddenly stop in their lane because they are afraid. Pull over, I say; get off the road for Pete's sake! The problem is when the guy behind them finally sees their tail lights, it can be way too late to re-adjust in the slippery roadway to avoid a nasty collision or pileup.

Isn't it interesting that we dance through life until we are inconvenienced- or worse, tragedy strikes. Some things come at us out of nowhere but some things in life can be prevented. I believe that living in fear is no answer to the unknowns that lurk out there in the darkness. To trust in God is the only antidote to fear. His Word gives us something to hold onto when life's difficulties surprise us. I will have to trust that the local officials have my health and safety in mind when they bring warnings to take cover, find high ground, evacuate, or stay off the roads. If a tragedy can be prevented, why question it.

I want to say a prayer for the families who have lost loved ones due to these fierce rainstorms as I stay indoors, watch the news and hope the clouds soon pass. After the water subsides and the roads open back up, we will get back to our normal routines until something else, bigger than we are, reminds us just how fragile life can be.





No comments:

Post a Comment