Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Simple Things

I know this sounds elementary but I sure miss playing and singing with just my acoustic guitar. I just finished a sound check for an early worship session and I wasn't using any in-ear device or wireless guitar pack. Just me, Heather Gray and my acoustic in the wedges. It sounded so pure with no competition with other players or singers.

What happened to the days when we plugged straight into our amps with those slinky, retractable cords? Remember when we would turn a main speaker a tiny-bit inward so we could hear our vocals over the band? We would literally run into a venue in those days, set up and sound check within 30 minutes. I also weighed about 165 pounds, soaking wet.

Would I reverse the hands of time and go back to the way it was? Would I actually trade my Mac with Digital Performer 7 in my office where I do most of my music production for an outside studio with 2" tape machines and $1000/day fees? Would I trade my YouSendIt online file sharing software that allows me to easily send large files and email attachments for a courier? NO WAY!

I will enjoy the stripped-down feel of this morning's worship service. But tonight I will be ready to put on my in-ears, turn-on my wireless guitar pack and sing with a kicking band!

No comments:

Post a Comment