Monday, May 24, 2010

Hearing the Voice of God

I have been reading a book called With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. It was a source for Ken Burns in producing his 2007 PBS series, The War. Tom Hanks, an executive producer on the HBO series The Pacific, said of Sledge’s book, "...(it) is considered perhaps as great a combat memoir as has ever been produced…It is very personal and it is very much written with his voice and with his perspective on life.”

I was so intrigued with Sledge’s character in The Pacific that I bought a copy of With the Old Breed for my Kindle. Sledge and another character in the series, Sid Phillips, grew up in Mobile, Alabama (Dr. Phillips was at one time my wife’s family physician). Their stories intertwine throughout the 10 installments of The Pacific series. Because I already knew a little bit about Sid, I wanted to know more about Sledge. His book holds up to the reputation touted by Hanks.

A particular passage in the first third of the book centered around a divine visitation on the harsh Peleliu battlefield:

Suddenly, I heard a loud voice say clearly and distinctly, “You will survive the war!”
After a few quizzical glances Sledge asked, “Did y’all hear that?”
”Hear what?” (the others) inquired.
“Someone said something,” I said.

Sledge went on to write about his unusual experience-

“Like most persons, I had always been skeptical about hearing voices. So I didn’t mention my experience to anyone. But I believed God spoke to me that night on that Peleliu battlefield, and I resolved to make my life amount to something after the war.”

I have experienced similar moments– hearing God’s voice. One in particular was during a dream. I had been facing a series of decisions that would eventually lead to my songwriting career and success. In the dream I was at a party where several small clusters of people gathered, talking to one another. I heard the voice of God call my name and say, “Follow me.” I asked the others in the party if they heard it too. As with Sledge, my friends didn’t hear a thing. I have, on other occasions, heard my name being called out and no one else heard either.

You might think that I am crazy. But I, like Sledge, can testify that God will visit us in situations beyond our ability to cope. Or in situations where a big life-change is looming on the horizon. He lets us know He is there and that our welfare and safety are protected by His hand. My greatest testimony, and that of Eugene, is that what was promised to us both came to be.

I am encouraged today that God has a plan for me. And if I follow Him, no matter the odds, I will find success.

No comments:

Post a Comment