Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shiny New Gadgets

I just wanted to mention a cool friend that I take everywhere with me these days: my Kindle. I know all the hype is going toward the iPad of late but I am so enamored with my reader that it deserves attention.

First of all, it was a gift that Brenda and I gave each other for Christmas last year- his and hers Kindles. We have always read several books at a time as well as magazines and the local newspaper. Upon getting my Kindle set up, I ordered USA Today because I always get one in the airport when I travel. This way, with my new e-subscription, I wake up each morning and the paper is delivered via Whispernet (Amazon's cell-phone like, wireless delivery system) directly to my reader. I love it. I also have the Reader's Digest delivered monthly (another weird magazine love affair I've had for many, many years).

People always make fun of me because I am quick to jump on the band wagon for new gadgets. iPods, BlackBerry phones, laptops and a blue-tooth, hands-free speaker for my car...I have been criticized for having these early on until they become so common place that nobody notices anymore.

My dad told me once that his father, who died in 1955, had the same "Jones" for shiny, new gadgets. I guess it runs in the blood. I am fascinated with progress- so much so that I take chances which don't always pan out. Like the time I bought an Apple Newton, a forerunner of electronic organizers. Obviously, it was ahead of it's time and really didn't capture the market. Even though it wasn't a phone, it was, however, a step in the right direction that eventually morphed into the iPhone we know today.

I am totally enthralled with my Kindle. It has several books on board waiting to be consumed as well as my favorite Bible translations and reference books. I guess if I were on a deserted island I would want my sweetheart, a boat-load of batteries and all my shiny gadgets right there in my grass hut. Problem is, I wouldn't have a Best Buy near to test drive the next cool thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment