Friday, September 16, 2011

Analog

Today started with an early morning scurry to get to the airport for a 7:15 flight to San Antonio, TX. I am half way to my destination, sitting in Houston with my laptop, writing this.

The process for each trip always involves making sure each electronic device is fully charged, every needed accessory is packed and my reservations are intact with an e-ticket waiting. Today, I am fully wireless. I can reach anyone and, unfortunately, can be reached by everyone. I have all of my magazines available in digital form on my iPad, email and IM on my Android, and all of my work files stored on my MacBook. All of this was but a geeky dream 20 years ago.

The problem is, I still like real magazines and real books. Even though my Kindle is filled with e-books, there's still something about the tactile experience of turning real pages and, most importantly, the smell of the ink on paper.

I like vinyl records, too. The experience of listening to them one side at a time, all the while studying the liner notes and pictures, is something kids can't relate to today. I still definitely prefer real tube guitar amplifiers over digital, virtual amps. Some musicians still prefer analog 2-inch tape over digital recording.

As I ponder the days of analog with the shag carpeted, orange-hue of the Seventies, and never being "connected," I begin to see that I really never want to go back there. So many advantages are brought to us via digital. When I traveled in the old days, I had to depend on payphones or hotel operators to communicate with family. That adventure was always full of logistical and financial challenges, especially with overseas travel.

So, as I finish this, I am hearing the call to get on the flight to San Antonio. Hey, never mind all of that foolishness about analog. It's a good memory, but I'll take digital over analog any day. I'll finish this, check my email messages on the phone and head down the aisle to my seat...maybe do a few last-minute things on my iPad before they close the door and make us turn our toys off.

At least travel is still analog. One day, maybe we'll be looking back to when people traveled without a Star Trek transporter "beaming us up." Until then, I'll be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment