Monday, September 5, 2011

Guitar is King on Reality TV

Have you noticed the killer guitar tracks coming from TV shows like Pawn Stars, Storage Wars and many other similar reality shows? The soundtracks from these shows are more interesting than much of the music released by many groups these days.

For fellow guitar players, it is a veritable tone library of different amps, guitars, pedals and styles. I am so impressed with these 10-second ditties that are jam-packed into each show; there is a ton of creative guitar riffing going on. Since I've written and recorded my share of theme music and jingles in the past, I am very impressed with this work!

Thanks to Google, it only took a minute to run down one of the production houses from which many of these TV soundtracks are procured. The company, Jingle Punks, supplies the opening theme music for Pawn Stars. If you need theme music, and have a ton of money to pay for licensing, you, too, can work out a deal with a company like Punks.

A few months ago I caught a marathon showing of back-to-back episodes of Sons of Guns. The opening theme was so incredible, I did a Google-search on the song. I quickly found that Buddy Miller--the Nashville guitar picker, singer and artist--wrote this song, Shelter Me, for his Universal United House Of Prayer CD. When I heard Miller's version online, it wasn't the same one. But with some searching around, I found that the "Guns" theme song is covered by blues artist, Tab Benoit.

The state of the electric guitar is riding strong these days, and the soundtracks to so many TV shows prove it. Now, if these riffs, tones and this craftsmanship can be applied to some of the music released by artists nowadays, maybe the music industry will someday see an up-swing in sales. I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment