Friday, September 23, 2011

My 10 Favorite Summer CDs of 2011

As days get shorter and fall begins to cast it's long shadow over the land, I want to mention 10 of this year's music releases that became my summer soundtrack.

First, I have to mention Tedeschi Trucks Band and their excellent release, Revelator. I got to see the Allman Brothers two years ago and was impressed with Derek Trucks and his flawless slide guitar playing. After listening to his wife Susan Tedeschi sing, I was sold on the complete package. The songs and the production compliment the excellent performances.

Second, I loved Keb Mo's Reflection CD. I wasn't an avid listener before Reflection, but seeing him perform "Whole Enchilada" on Conan O'Brien gave me the curiosity to listen to the entire record. Its layered with excellent electric and acoustic guitar with a "Steely Dan" treatment here and there, augmented by killer lady background vocals. A must get!

Third, I'll have to mention George Thorogood and his 2120 South Michigan Avenue. I normally wouldn't have gone in this direction if it were not for Amazonmp3.com offering the record at a crazy discount. When I listened to the first track, "Going Back," and the ZZ Top-like riff, I was gonna listen to this record all the way through. I have. Several times...and now I'm a fan!

Fourth, I want to mention Glen Campbell and his swansong recording, Ghost on the Canvas. I wrote about this on a blog recently. It really is a wonderful production surrounding Campbell's voice, guitar work and great songs. I was delighted to see Campbell put trust in his producer,
Julian Raymond, to bring a modern sound to this record. It reminds me of Rick Rubin's work with Johnny Cash--not in sound or production, but in utilizing a visionary producer who can inspire, focus and craft the performance of a legend.

Fifth, Levon Helm and the Ramble at the Ryman CD. What can I say? I adored his recent studio albums, Dirt Farmer and Electric Dirt. So a live version of similar goodness was welcomed. Special guests like
Sheryl Crow, John Hiatt and Buddy Miller bring variety to the record. A real fun listen!

Sixth, Michael Franks and Time Together. I became a fan with 1977's Sleeping Gypsy and have followed him ever since. I was fortunate enough to see him live at the Franklin (TN) Jazz Festival in 2001. His records are the soundtrack to summer. Plus, he's a huge Antonio Carlos Jobim fan, like me!

Seventh, J.D. Souther: Natural History. Wow. This guy has written everything...well almost. He has co-written several Eagles hits and penned many Linda Ronstadt songs. His most recent "hit" Eagles song, is
"How Long," from the Long Road Out of Eden CD. He also co-wrote the Eagles songs " "Sad Cafe" from The Long Run, "New Kid In Town" and "Best of My Love." His famous solo hit was 1979's "You're Only Lonely." Souther's Natural History CD contains fresh, un-plugged versions of most of the songs just mentioned. His tenor voice still shines.

Eighth, Steve Miller: Let Your Hair Down. Miller has been pigeon-holed with "The Joker" and "Fly Like An Eagle." His latest two records were released on his own label and really spotlight his blues guitar chops. Let Your Hair Down was the second to be released, Bingo! was the first. I champion an artist who doesn't wait for some big record company to promote their music. Miller already has a sturdy following, so he made the records he wanted to make--his way. Score!

Ninth, Social Distortion: Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes. These guys have been around forever. This record is one I would have never sampled except for an Amazonmp3.com deal. I downloaded it and was swept-up in killer guitar tones, great vocals and excellent lyrics. Plus, these guys are my age, and are from my hometown of Fullerton, California!

Tenth, Peter Wolf. Okay, so he didn't release a record this year. Still, Peter is a huge favorite of mine. I was a marginal fan way back in his J. Geils Band days. They made a few super hits in the early eighties and catapulted into mega status with, "Centerfold" and "Freeze-Frame." I always loved his voice, though. Several years ago I saw Wolf perform on T.V. as a solo artist promoting his 2002 Sleepless record. I became a huge fan after I heard the whole CD. His writing and singing are still stellar, but his production--with all the great guitar and organic keyboard layering--is riveting to me. I had to go back and gobble-up 1998's Fool's Parade. His latest, 2010's Midnight Souvenirs, just ups the ante for me.

I'm looking for the new records out this fall from Ryan Adams, Coldplay, Brian Wilson and Vince Gill. I hope they won't disappoint. I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment