Friday, September 30, 2011

Grandpa's TV

No, my daughter Betsy isn't pregnant, nor is Josh's wife, Amber. Brenda just called me "grandpa" last night as we were scanning the TV for something to watch. Her nickname is given in reference to some of the shows I tend to like. As we were looking through the Thursday night lineup after our beloved The Office and Parks and Recreation were finished, I thumbed through the DVR list and found a fresh episode of the local PBS station's Tennessee Crossroads. Each episode, as they tell it. "...travels the highways and byways of Tennessee, highlighting the personalities, crafts, places, foods and events that make Tennessee special and its character unique." I pushed play and the first thing Brenda did was look in my direction to say, "You're gonna watch one of your 'grandpa' shows again."

She says the same when I watch an episode of the Lawrence Welk Show. I know it sounds silly, but I love to go back in time, listen to the old songs, make fun of the outrageous costumes and styles, and mock Bobby, along with his dancing partner of the week. But generally, I sink into the cozy armchair that is my memory of growing up in the 60s and 70s, during family gatherings and holidays.

There's another show I watch on RFD-TV (what they themselves call Rural America’s Most Important Network). It's Larry's Country Diner. The show is taped here in Nashville from a fake diner, hosted by Larry Black and his cast of small-town characters, along with a sheriff and my favorite gossip, Nadine. She always breaks into the diner unannounced and humorously ruminates on the days doings in a "Church Lady-meets-Minnie Pearl" sort of way. I love the corny humor. Again, it's probably me reaching back to a simple, less-complicated time in life. Brenda automatically leaves the room when I am watching any these shows.

I have been sampling some of the new fall TV offerings and, frankly, many of them are a bit crass for my taste. I can't believe I'm casting judgement like an old man sitting on a park bench. To be fair, there are a lot of great shows on, and I gobble them up weekly via my trusted DVR. But I will continue to watch my "old guy" shows, even if I'm all alone. Grandpa fits me pretty well--I guess I'll be a real one soon enough, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment