Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Songs, the Church and the Truth

When I visited my alma mater last week, I ran into an old friend from Truth, Alicia Williamson Garcia, who is now teaching there at the University of Mobile. She feels her contribution to students who pass through the very popular worship leadership track is to inform them how very important theology is when leading a worship team and/or writing songs. I think she is going to be very effective--the church will benefit as much as the graduate.

I have been asked over the years by many Christian song writers to listen to their song demos. Usually, my biggest critiques have been in the areas of song style and theology. (I am a lyric hound., and a big area of concern for me is in this area, but I won't bore you with details about lyric writing here). As to style, I am surprised how many writers are copying musical styles from 15 or 20 years back. I ask them if they listen to the radio or some sort of Top 40 format, just to keep in touch with listeners. I am not surprised when they say, "No." What? If you are gonna be a writer, then read! And if you are gonna be a songwriter, listen to music! When it comes to theology, Its imperative that every thought, assertion and teaching is in-line with Scripture. We must strain every lyric we write through the filter of the Word of God, otherwise, we are being irresponsible toward God, the Church, and ourselves as artists.

Its mind-boggling how many poorly written songs make it into church worship services. If we are allowing artists, song writers. publishers and record companies to be the purveyors of truth in our churches, we are foolish. With every song that we consider for our worship services, it is our responsibility, as worship leaders and pastors, to look over every lyric and scrutinize the accuracy of the message before we take it to the next step and introduce it to our congregations.

The advantage of many (not all!) great hymns is that they have stood the test of time with their timeless melodies and Truth-based lyrics. Just because a great artist sings it, the music is killer and we really like the way it makes us feel, doesn't mean we should use it. Is it based on the Bible, or is it just a great rhyme?

ATTENTION SONGWRITERS: a song isn't written, it's re-written! I am not impressed with someone who says they wrote a certain song in 15 minutes. Edit a song until it has no holes in it. Then, and only then, should you demo a song. Even at that point, it should be open to changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment