Sunday, September 18, 2011

I'll Always Remember the Alamo

I spent the weekend in San Antonio officiating a wedding for some friends. Since the ceremony wasn't until Saturday evening, I took advantage of the beautiful Riverwalk and other sites, just a stroll from my hotel.

A light rain forced me indoors for a short rest, but I had one more stop before the wedding: The Alamo. As I came upon the mission facade--the famous backdrop for all movies and photos--it seemed so small in real life. I thought of Pee Wee Herman with his odyssey and search for the stolen red bike. And I confirm, there is no basement in the Alamo.

In a courtyard, I listened to a lecture about the turmoil which led up to the historic siege on the small mission outpost in 1836. I made my way to the museum and then to the gift shop. When I approached a young lady there about the IMAX film shown on the premises, she looked at me and asked the question I have been dreading. "Sir, are you a senior?" I know I didn't misunderstand her; she didn't say seƱor--as in Spanish for mister. Yep, I'm certain. She looked straight at me and basically communicated, "Hey old man, if you are as old as I think you are, you can save a few bucks on the movie. And by the way, wheelchairs are available if you need one." Well, she really didn't say that...but it's what my heart heard, anyway! Really, a senior citizen?

So if you're 51 years old, visiting San Antonio, and have a little gray in you beard and at the temples, don't ask a young person for ticket prices. They just might remind you that death is eminent. And for that incident, I'll always remember the Alamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment