Monday, October 10, 2011

Identity Gift

There are very few things that get my blood pumping in an instant; one of them was when I found out from my credit card company recently that I was a victim of identity fraud. This news sent me into a frenzy to put a stop on my account. On another occasion, when applying for a home loan, our credit report showed that Brenda and I owned a boat and a second home (I wish!). We cleared up the problem eventually, but that scare is something I'll never forget, and we are duly suspicious when handing over our credit card to pay for a meal. Identity fraud is frightening, to say the least!

In a sermon yesterday at our church, I heard something that I want to pass on to you today. The pastor preached about our identity in Christ, as Children of God, from 1 John. I never before saw it so clearly: "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1, NIV)

When someone steals our identity through obtaining our Social Security number or other private information, they can take on full authority in our behalf to make purchases. I read recently of a person who stole the identity of the former bass player with the Eagles, Randy Meisner. The impersonator was booking gigs and getting free drinks from bars all across the country. Meisner himself was even thought to be his own impersonator at one point!

In Christ, though, we have taken on the gift of God's identity. Our sin is forgiven and we are covered by His righteousness. The Bible says: "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17, NIV) That means as children of God we share all of the benefits as "first-born sons" in his household. We are fully covered by His identity in regard to health, wealth, physical and spiritual protection and future hope. Through our new identity in God we are also saved from an eternal hell.

So instead of an identity theft, I can celebrate an identity gift today. Its something that can turn a gray sky into blue. I am a child of the King! I need to live like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment