Friday, October 28, 2011

Shaw Retro-Mod 15 Combo

I love the speaker porthole!
Kevin Shaw, the maker of this new amp, is gonna be mad that I'm showing it here. He prefers to create amplifier heads with separate cabs, and doesn't want anyone to get the idea that he's getting into the combo business. I have three other Shaw amps, including a Shaw Retro-Mod 15 in the piggy-back configuration, but I really wanted a grab-and-go amp that works well with pedals, for when I get out and play live. When I asked him to consider making me a combo version, he grit his teeth, shook his head and said, "Just this once!"

The economy has messed with everyone's finances, so getting a new amp without trading or selling other gear was impossible. I had to let go of some of my much-loved stuff, but this black beauty seriously eclipsed the gear I sold to obtain it.

L to R: power, light, standby, tone, volume, boost, input
I appreciate the simplicity: volume, tone and a boost switch. Of course my favorite speaker, the WGS Reaper 30, is part of the tone I love in most all of my amps--and here, it's no exception. The beautifully clean chassis contains new parts along with rescued pieces from a "mojo-soaked" Hammond organ (thus, Retro-Mod!). I love that Kevin has taken the low-end flub away from the typical 5E3 circuit, Tweed-type tone, so the dual 6V6 Fender-esque vibe shines through in all of it's glory. Again, the front-end takes pedals extraordinarily well. But get that volume cranked-up to eight and nine, with just a guitar plugged in, and the amp gets crunchy, creamy--and loud! The guitar volume can be adjusted to create the various tones needed for an entire gig!

WGS Reaper speaker! Notice the two mid-60s RCA 6V6 power tubes.
So many manufacturers add extra buttons, knobs and dials, but the tone has a tendency to suffer as it gets pushed through all of those sonic trails. This simple yet elegant combo makes the great tone I get in my studio, with the head and cab version, possible. This way, I can carry that killer tone wherever I go.

Sorry, Kevin. I spilled the beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment