Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkins, Funnel Cakes and Elvis

For the first time in 10 years, since we've become residents of Williamson County, I was able to stroll unhurried Saturday afternoon with Brenda, my daughter Betsy and her husband Adam at the downtown Franklin, TN, PumpkinFest.

It reminded me of the days, 30 years ago, when I was on the road. We played many outdoor state fairs and festivals where the sweet smell of fried funnel cakes and smokey barbeque floated on the crisp autumn breeze. Many children and pets alike were in full Halloween regalia last weekend--even some crazy, gutsy adults.

At the music stage, right in front of the newly-restored Franklin Theater, we stopped for a moment to watch a group of dancers, dressed as zombies, interpret Michael Jackson's famous moves from the Thriller video. Also taking the stage was an Elvis impersonator, decked out in an iconic high-collar, one-piece suit emblazoned with a "Waste Management" logo, singing to the tune of C.C. Rider: "Oh, re----re-cycle. Re-cycle...when you are done!" It seemed to fit the laid-back family atmosphere, even in it's over-the-top corniness.

Betsy and Dad at the Franklin PumpkinFest, 2011
The time I spend with my family is truly precious. I'm thankful that our schedule this summer and fall has been fairly open; we haven't had this opportunity in many years. I know this relaxing time may change at any moment. But while I can stop and smell the barbeque, eat a fried turnover, and peruse local arts and crafts displays along Main Street on a lazy Saturday afternoon, I'm gonna do it-- because fall is my favorite time of year. Happy Halloween, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment