Friday, October 14, 2011

Magazines

Magazines have been an important part of my my life ever since I was small. My dad always had a shelf filled with National Geographic magazines that came in handy for school projects. I don't know if he ever found out that we would cut and paste the pictures into school reports. Highlights and Boy's Life magazines filled my life as a child. I remember collecting Reader's Digest magazines one Christmas because my scout troop were folding them into little Christmas trees and giving the painted and glittered beauties away as gifts. (I still get Reader's Digest, albeit the Kindle version).

The thing about magazines for me is that they smell so good when you open them. My magazines of choice today are usually music oriented. So when I crack one open, the ink whiff starts it all, and then the thought of very cool music gear inside, waiting to be perused, is exciting (I know, I need to get out more)! Mix Magazine, Vintage Guitar, and Premier Guitar are the magazines I will stand at the curb and wait for. I instinctively know when one of those choice mags are coming my way: something in the wind tells me and, lo and behold, a few days later, one of them will appear!

I have a secret magazine subscription. No, it's not the illicit types you're thinking of. I love Reminiscence Magazine. It contains writings from regular people who share their memories of the good ol' days. It is an old people's magazine, supposedly, but I have seen articles by folks around my age in there. So, technically, I am of the appropriate age to read it. My dad had some of his writings published in Reminiscence, so he usually had stacks waiting for me to devour when we'd visit him in North Carolina before he moved in with us. Now his subscription comes to my door and I love it!

People magazine is another fave. Everyone in my family devours it, except for Brenda. She has her own set of magazines that she reads, mostly of the knitting, spinning and book review variety. Needless to say, we are sufficiently magazine-d at the Harvill house. I bet if you come over, and when you feel at home, before you excuse yourself to use the restroom, you'll look around the room and ask with a hushed voice, "Where's the new issue of People?"

No comments:

Post a Comment