Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Paper or Plastic?

It used to be a standard question at the grocery store: "Will that be paper or plastic?" I always liked paper bags because they smelled so good and you could cover your school books with them in the fall. Plastic is handy, but it just isn't the same. In it's "shininess" it can also be cold. I will attempt to compare paper and plastic to some worship experiences I've had.

Paper is organic. Sometimes we witness a worship experience that is so down-to-earth and simple--just like a paper bag. Many times the musicians and singers don't perform up to professional standards but, for some reason, it generally works. There's much room for improvement, but the overall feel of sweetness and connectivity is present. Many churches fall into this category; they can use a lot of work in the presentation, but they get an A+ in authenticity.

On the other hand, there are churches who have rushed into the "plastic" mode where the presentation is slick but the "heart" is missing. I am a big proponent of excellence (notice my many "Great Moments In Worship" blog post series). I prefer preparation to just "winging it". I like to think through the stage moves, conduct a thorough rehearsal, and coordinate with other aspects of the service and the hospitality teams. But at a certain point, we must learn to relax and connect with God and the congregation. I think it's more helpful for a worship team to be at rest, instead of a team who are trying to put-on a show.

Preparation and planning are the roads to the ultimate destination: a one-on-one, personal connection with God. No one wants to come to church and experience a bunch of puppets-on-strings lead us in worship. If I had my way, I'd choose the down-home method, including mistakes, intonation problems and a set that doesn't quite flow, over fake or forced (it pains me to type that!). I believe that in our race to create great worship presentations, we can make the mistake of rushing right past simplicity. I always try to shoot for a balance.

So what will it be this week, paper or plastic?

No comments:

Post a Comment