Monday, October 17, 2011

Real Friends

I saw this photo last night and immediately posted it on my Facebook wall. According to the "likes" and the comments, it was a big hit. As I looked at it again this morning, it reminded me of the value of a good friend.

You know when you do something unaware, like leave the house without zipping up your pants, or you still have evidence of breakfast on your face when you get to work?  Hours later you realize you've been the office idiot. Well, its so true: humor is usually found in someone else's misfortune...until we're the brunt of the joke.

A good friend will always rush to our rescue, albeit after a few chuckles. Brenda is my best friend and has saved me from countless embarrassing moments, most recently, by telling me I shouldn't write a certain something in my blog. My daughter is my friend, too, because she is quick to say, "Daddy, are you really gonna wear that?"

Sometimes I am quick to  point out what I think is wrong, when its not the best time or thing to do. Thank God for my wife, she will jump in front of a bullet for me like a Secret Service agent shielding the President of the United States. Again, she has saved me numerous times.

Back to the photo...Poor Ray Charles was stuck out there in an embarrassing situation for who knows how long. Probably, the photo was altered. But in any event, everyone needs a friend to get us out of awkward situations. I'm sure Mr. Charles had stagehands to make the fix in a nano-second!

My goal this week is to be a true friend and run to the rescue when a pal needs me the most. It could be mustard on the chin, toilet paper hanging out the back of their pants, or any number of humiliating situations. I can't guarantee my friend's loyalty, but I can certainly be there to help steer them out of social danger during a clueless moment. As the Sicilian proverb says: "Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty."

No comments:

Post a Comment