Monday, October 24, 2011

Unclaimed Baggage

My brother Jon and I took the long way to my dad's place in North Carolina over the weekend. We zoomed right past signs to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, Alabama, where lost luggage and other unspoken-for items from the airlines are sold. I've never been, but my son, Josh, tells me it's full of cool stuff to be had at a fraction of the retail price. Too bad it was closed when we flew by Friday night, but the phrase "unclaimed baggage" really got me to thinking...

Isn't it true that if everyone owned up to their part in family problems, we could actually make things easier for future generations? I remember quizzing my grandmother years ago about a touchy subject relating to persons in our family tree. She shut me down so fast, I was sent away with nothing more than, "We don't talk about that!" I remember being furious but respectful at the same time because grandma was, well--grandma. To this day, the questions go unanswered and are buried along with my  deceased relatives.

I think Brenda and I have been pretty forthright with our kids. In fact, it's no secret to them the many mistakes we've made as parents and, generally, as ignorant folks. We certainly have made some clumsy choices along life's way. I think it's good to own-up to our failures and ask for forgiveness sooner than...never.

I wouldn't want to perpetuate any secrets, but would rather expose poor human behavior to my children, even if it involves highly respected family members. I still feel the rejection and remember being angry when grandma turned me away all those years ago.

As long as the baggage stored in dark corners of our personal and family's lives go unclaimed, we will continue the streak of failure, loss, disappointment, shame and fear, until we deal with it once and for all before God. Lord, help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment